Sunday, November 4, 2012

Marshmallow Test Results

And the answer is.....

4 comments:

  1. He is so cute! I am not sure I am as patient as he is! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next marshmallow test will be done with Dave as the subject and bottles of ice cold beer will replace the trick-or-treat candy.

      Delete
  2. Good decision. What a smart little guy. Why do his parents want to torture him like that though?? I like the test idea for Dave next. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His parents do not want to torture him. This was a one-time challenge of his deferred gratification skills. We don't do this every day.

      The "Marshmallow Test" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment is a well known psychological test that was given to kids when they were 4 years old to see how well they could wait.

      We did this not as a "psychological test", but as a fun little challenge just to see what would happen. The video turned out pretty funny and will be a good keepsake to show Parker someday when he's older.

      It was very interesting to see how kids handle this challenge and the different emotions they go through. Parker acted mad, then laughed, then found ways to distract his attention from eating the treat by trying not to look at it, singing little songs, and doing little dances. He sang "row, row, row your boat" followed by "I get two desserts, I get two desserts", etc.

      The next day, he asked if he could do it again.

      Delete